Training eyes to save lives
A Kent company with a passion for protecting the public from the harsh extremes of the weather has picked a skin cancer charity as its cause of the year.
Streetspace Group, based in Hythe, is a UK leader in building stylish canopies for schools, leisure attractions and town centre regeneration schemes which protect the public against the sun or rain.
The company’s Social Committee stage a range of fundraising events each year for good causes and for 2020 have decided to focus its support on Skcin.
Kate Funnell, Streetspace Projects Co-ordinator, said: ‘We chose Skcin because of how well it fits with what we do here at Streetspace. The Sun Safe Schools scheme helps to educate pupils on the importance of sun protection via a fun and interactive programme. The committee are in the process of planning fundraising events to hold throughout 2020 to raise as much money as possible for this charity.”
- Skin cancer is the UK’s most common and fastest rising cancer
- Malignant melanoma is one of the most common cancers in
young adults (aged 15-34) in the UK
- More people die from skin cancer in the UK than Australia
- Over 80per cent of all skin cancers are caused by over-exposure
to the sun and/or sunbeds, making the majority of all skin
cancers preventable with sun safety measures.
- Schools should join the Sun Safe campaign.